If you are a music lover, chances are you have heard of Kpop. How popular Kpop has become over the years! Thanks to the increased adoption of the internet and the rise in popularity of streaming services, Kpop artists and groups have become household names in several countries.
Although it’s hard for an international artist to crack into the American market, some of the popular Kpop groups are already making ground-breaking achievements on the Billboard charts. Fans love buying music and Kpop merch to support their idols. Whether you are new to Kpop or are already familiar with it, the following list of facts should surprise you:
- According to the French Institut National de l’audiovisuel, Kpop is defined as a “fusion of synthesised music, sharp dance routines and fashionable, colourful outfits.” People are inspired by Kpop fashion and buy Kpop merch
- Management companies in South Korea organise auditions for young people who aspire to become Kpop celebrities. Once the trainees are selected, they live together in a restricted environment where they learn music, dance, language and more for many hours, and prepare for their debut. It’s estimated that record labels spend up to 3 million USD per person, with the hopes that the person is destined for stardom.
- Kpop typically represents South Korean music, however certain people still consider it to be a genre that encompasses a gamut of music and visuals. Kpop songs feature one or a mix of different genres including pop, rock, RnB, electronic, and hip hop.
- Kpop artists should be extra careful about anything and everything they say, while discussing sensitive topics like the Japanese invasion era for instance. If someone is deemed unpatriotic, their career is doomed, regardless of their fame or success.
- Mainstream artists in the US, including Steve Aoki, Kanye West, Akon, Selena Gomez, Snoop Dogg, The Chainsmokers, Charli XCX, and Nicki Minaj have all collaborated with popular Kpop idols. Such idols have fans around the world who buy Kpop music and Kpop merchandise
- The popularity of Korean music can be attributed to an American missionary named Henry Appenzeller who taught American and British folk songs at a school during the year 1885. Such songs featured western music combined with Korean lyrics.
- It was in the 1990s that Korean musicians started to integrate American music to their songs. Seo Taiji and Boys were known for the same, after releasing their 1992 single “I Know”. Even though critics were negative towards the song, the group achieved fame instantly. This was also a revolutionary period for Kpop.
- Shinwa, a South Korean six-member Kpop group is one of the longest running idol groups in existence. Debuted in 1998, the group is often described as “legendary” for their longevity.
Kpop is not just a genre, it’s a phenomenon! Anyone could easily fall for the astounding creativity exhibited by some of the best talents in the game. Support your idols by buying merch from a Kpop online shop today.